Friday, July 11, 2014

Next edition ----

Wow...it's been awhile....where did I leave off? OH yeah, I was born 3/21/61 in Cleveland Ohio and after the 6 months waiting period, Liz Wolfe was forced to sign the release papers so that I could be put on the list for adoption. Boby and Ross McElligott were then notified and awaited the arrival of Children Services as they brought me to my new home. I arrived at the house on Buena Vista Dr. in Wickliffe Ohio at 6 months old and officially became the first child of Mr and Mrs. Ross McElligott. In Wickliffe, the family consisted of Grandparents Emma and D'arcy McElligott, and Florence Martens, Aunts - Helen Enders, Edie Martens, Pat Martens, Uncles - Larry "Brothers" Martens, Jack Martens, cousins Johnny Martens, Pam Martens, Judy Martens, Debby Martens, and Larry Martens Jr.
Family members also resided in Lachine Quebec. This is where my Grandfather, D'arcy McElligott grew up.
Need some background info on my Grandfather? Now his life is interesting.....
D'arcy Walter McElligott was born in 1899 in Lachine Quebec. He was in the middle of 11 siblings that pretty much did what ever they wanted.  It wasn't that they were bad kids, but they seemed to get into alot of predicaments that could have possibly taken their lives.
My grandmother, Emma Bumby McElligott, emigrated from Manchester England at age 14. Her Father owned a tavern/Pub in Ashton-Under-Lyne and was a Police officer after moving to Lachine.
My Grandfather was recruited by White Motors to play semi-professional soccer here in the states which is how he made his way to Cleveland Ohio. My Grandmother followed him down and they got married on Christmas day.
Back to 1961 - I was an only child for almost 2.5 yrs when Mom and Dad adopted another girl  in 1963.

Adoption brings about many different issues for both the birth mom as well as the children.  Many times these issues do not show up for many years.  It's not that there is any blame to dole out but situations define who we are and how we react. Try as we may to avoid negative reactions, we are still affected by circumstances in our lives.  The secret is not to let it affect us in a negative way so that it stops us from going forward.  We need to learn from the experience and apply the lessons in a positive way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment